Tuesday, October 20, 2009

What Makes a Personalized Christmas Gift?

This question is one which has about as many answers as the age old question "How long is a piece of string?". People's ideas of personal vary as much as there are people. What may be considered personal by you may not mean the same thing to me. What I consider as personal may not have the same impact on you but somewhere in between there is common ground where we will agree.

There are the obvious very personal gifts like underwear and sexy lingerie but these are not the type of personalized gifts we are considering here. This conversation is about the personal gifts that we can give to each other when we think about the individual persons likes, dislikes, hobbies, passions, interests. This to me is what constitutes a truly personalized gift both to receive and to give. By using this system of buying a gift for someone is really showing that person that you have thought carefully about them before or during the buying process and shows them just how well or how little you really know them. This makes it very personal.

So many gifts seem to be bought at Christmas time "because they will probably give us one so we better have one ready to give to them". This to me is more a system of bartering than of gift giving but to my way of thinking it is quite a common scenario. Yes, I plead guilty and if you are really honest with yourself, you probably will too.

Now there have been some very special people in my life who it turned out knew me very well indeed. Over the years I have received some wonderfully appropriate gifts that came to me right when I needed them most. My younger brother has this knack and so our Christmas time together is one of great comfort and pleasure for both of us. I've been lucky enough to be able to give him the unexpected and loved gifts over the years too. It comes down to communication during the year and enough love to know what they need, would use or want. This to me is what makes a truly personalized Christmas gift.

So why not add a minglestick into your loved one's stocking this Christmas? They make the perfect, inexpensive, useful stocking filler of all time!



No comments: