Saturday, October 24, 2009

Online Card Games Good for Companionship

nline card games provide companionship and interest for many people who are now living on their own. Everyone uses the Internet according to their own interests and bias but it would seem some of my older friends have turned into 'die-hard' internet gamers. Card games seem to be their choice of battle ground with the game of Patience being the preferred weapon of choice.

This really surprised me as much as I surprised them when I said that I didn't play games online. They found this hard to believe because they frequently issue personal challenges to each other and love the competition. I don't mind competition; I just compete in a different type of game on the internet.

Two of my closest friends are "X's", that is they are still married to each other but live apart. They are still good friends and really enjoy challenging each other mentally. One is of a Mensa intelligence and the other is a Scientist. I'm just an occasional referee who gets called in only as much as I can't avoid doing so. It's not that I don't appreciate the request for reconciliation but I refuse to take anyone's side so my diplomatic nature is challenged more than I'm comfortable with.

I have seen both of them fire up their computers at really unreasonable hours of the morning and start a game. They will sit and play this game for hours sometimes without moving more than a mouse. I don't understand how they focus so strongly and no matter well I observe, I'm still not able to dedicate that amount of attention for that length of time on a computer screen.

But they frequently compare scores and take great delight in beating each others score. When I see this competitive behaviour between them both I fully understand why they couldn't live together. But these online card games are providing them both with companionship and mental stimulation and everyone, especially me, is happy for them both even more so when I don't get asked to referee!




No comments: