Thursday, September 17, 2009

Weight Loss Surgeries

Weight loss surgeries have been around for years. The first procedure was stomach stapling and evolved and progressed from there as more scientific and medically safer procedures became available.

Stomach stapling and gastric bypass surgery is still available in most countries and is in fact preferred by some bariatric surgeons. There are several more serious problems that can and do arise from these procedures that rarely happen with laparoscopic lap banding. Stomach stapling or gastric bypass surgery is not something that I personally would ever think about or have done.

Lap Banding is something that I did do and it has worked wonders for me.

Any weight loss surgery is about a lot more than just losing weight even though that is a primary goal for all of us. For me personally, it was the additional coping mechanisms that I was introduced to following the surgical procedure. The combination of surgery and back up team follow-up is what did work and is continuing to work for me.

Initially I did the wrong thing because my ego kicked in and I thought I was smarter than a rat with a gold tooth. I was so proud of myself that I went against my dietician's advice and got below my recommended weight that she wanted me to achieve.

This turned out to be a bad decision on my part. I tried to get to my weight that I was when I was 21. Bad decision on my part because I looked at a passport photo that I had had taken and really didn't like what I saw. I looked like someone just released from Auschwitz.

So then I went back the other way and started eating high calorie foods again. Sure, this put those extra kilos back on and fattened me up a bit but then I sort of forgot to stop and before I knew it I was back to 95 kilos! This is known as Yo-yo dieting and is a very definite "No-No".

If you do decide to have any weight loss surgery performed, my recommendation would be to well, basically,"do as you are told" because I can guarantee you that it does work if you follow the expert's advice explicitly.

No comments: